1. I am thankful for my one year old nephew’s hearty laugh. So joyful!
2. I am thankful my ten year old nephew is spending many summer days while his parents are at work with his 92 year old great granny. That’s a gift of love for both of them!
3. I am thankful for time spent with my sister, and I am thankful for the inspiring movie we saw,
“God’s Not Dead 2,” the yummy Chinese food we shared, and the creamy frozen custard we had for dessert.
4. I am thankful school’s out for the summer! Finally! Looking forward to a time of “re-creation.”
5. I am thankful for many heartfelt hugs between colleagues on the last day of school. And some tears.
6. I am thankful for the strength I see in my daughter. She is working as a camp counselor with Americorps this summer. A girl had an accident climbing down from the monkey bars and cut her chin and bit her tongue badly. My daughter was the first one on the scene and the little girl latched on to her. My daughter showed calm, concern, and maturity in staying with the girl and helping calm her in the scary, bloody situation. They had a long wait until the girl’s mother arrived. The bleeding was stopped by then, and my daughter was a little frustrated with the mom who seemed to downplay the seriousness of the incident- saying over and over, “There was so much blood, mom!”. The camp director took my daughter and the other counselors out to dinner to give them a chance to debrief. My daughter asked her to please call and see how the girl was doing. The mom had taken her to the ER. The girl’s tongue was treated with surgical glue. The mom expressed extreme gratefulness for the concern and care given to her daughter. Reflecting, my daughter realized that the mom had been doing the same thing she had done- keeping the girl calm in light of what could have been an even more serious injury. Thankfully, the little girl will be fine in just a couple of days. The tongue will heal very quickly. I am thankful to see the strength my daughter has to stay calm under pressure.
These are really just a few of the things I have to be thankful for this week. It is good to pause and take time to think about being grateful.