The alarm clock went off yesterday morning, and as usual, I tapped the snooze alarm (an unfortunate habit). A few minutes later, a piercing alarm filled the air. Confused, I sleepily realized it wasn’t the alarm clock, but the smoke alarm. As the realization sank in, the sound stopped. Whew, just a warning the battery was failing. I made one foolish attempt to climb up and replace the battery, but quickly realized I couldn’t safely do it. It was too early to try to get someone else to help, so I got ready and headed to school for the day. Off and on, I wondered if the alarm was blaring or if it had stayed silent. I thought I should head home ASAP after school to get it taken care of. Then a retired friend dropped by after school, and I went out to dinner with her. When I finally opened the front door at home, I was relieved to be greeted with silence. I walked next door and explained my dilemma to my neighbor. He grabbed a small stepladder and came right over and replaced the batteries in both of my smoke detectors. So this morning, I am celebrating safety and quiet… but most of all, celebrating my good neighbor.